Day 304: Gonna Love Me by Teyana Taylor // 7.5

Related image
GENRE: R&B, lo-fi
I can't remember where exactly she popped up on my radar, but I'm glad she did. This song feels like a modern take on the hottest hits of the 2000's. I say that because of the rapid singing style, wrought with flairs everywhere. What's different is the subtle, hazy backing track. The instrumentation is perfect too. Clean guitars and acoustic drums take to another level that most modern pop artists don't really escape to. Leaning on a more indie and lo-fi style was the right way to go. I'm loving the choice of making it a bit fuzzier, which really emphasizes the emotions of longing and nostalgia. The use of samples is intentional and not overbearing. The lyrics are simple, concise, and pack a tight message. Overall, just consistently good writing.


Rating: 7.5/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5