Day 291: Follow God by Kanye West // 6.5

Image result for jesus is king album cover
GENRE: gospel, hip hop
It's always a day transformed when Kanye does something new. God (relevant), considering how crazy Kanye can be, it's amazing what he put out in his craft. Maybe that's what's needed. One of my favorite components of Kanye's previous works has been his incorporation of gospel choirs into his songs. This time, you've got a whole album centered around that. I haven't listened to the whole album yet, but I've decided to pick one of the songs that stood out to me so far.

Both of the songs before this are heavily influenced with gospel music. The choir is so dominant in these songs. It's only until Follow God where you get some reminiscent of Kanye's older work. You get a cadence representative of his pre-Yeezy days. The worst thing is that it's so short. It sounds like an incomplete idea to me. I wish Kanye used more of his experimental tastes to really transcend a gospel album. I'm sure it's been done before. And if not, I wished he leveraged more of the idea of a heavenly backing choir.

Rating: 6.5/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5