Day 267: Gretel by (Sandy) Alex G // 4

Image result for house of sugar sandy alex gGENRE: indie, psychedelic 
Although a bit off-putting at first, I think I feel better about this song when I describe it as a bit of a trip. Those descending chords are not nice to the soul, and truly transport you somewhere else. There's lots of detuning accents among the instruments that add to this ethereal soundscape. Alex G has the astonishing ability to sing incredibly inaudibly while knowingly singing in English. I don't understand what is being said half the time.

In between developing experimental sections, you reach some sort of harmony that fails to impress me. I can respect the effects and the instrumentation, but altogether it's just not pleasant, catchy, or memorable. I liked the tone with the beginning guitar riff; I just wish it kept going down that path.

Rating: 4/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5