Day 125: Fado Portuges by Amalia Rodrigues // 8

Image result for fado portugues amalia rodriguesGENRE: fado
Exposure to a little culture is never a bad thing, which brings me to one of the smallest leads ever that I've followed. Fado is a Portuguese genre of music characterized by melancholic lyrics, folk instruments, and an oppressive loneliness. 

I'm not going to take a deep dive into the lyrics, but the romanticism inherent in the language fits so perfectly with the stylistic choices and avenues of the music. I particularly enjoy the gypsy-like tones of the guitars. The singer herself is famous within the genre. All I can really say is that her voice has an incredible depth and warmth to it. The fact that the material is so poignant yet beautiful is jarring in a way that's tasteful and pleasant. It makes me wonder if I'd be able to learn some of these songs myself, because they definitely evoke a sense of companionship and comfort. 

Rating: 8/10 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5