Day 265: Range Life by Pavement // 6

Image result for crooked rain, crooked rainGENRE: indie rock
Ok, after listening the recent song by beabadoobee, I figured it's about time I finally listen to this Stephen Malkmus guy. With this song, I'm hoping to peer into the indie scene from before I was actually into indie. Surprisingly, it's not too different from something you'd hear these days. There's nothing anachronistic about it I guess. With some bands, you can seriously tell that it was plucked from a different era.

In my opinion, how this song and band achieves that is its limited use of instruments. You really only have a simple drum set, electric guitar chords (with a surfy vibe), and a harmless bass line. There's not much here to differentiate from other artists. Except, there is Stephen Malkmus. I have a feeling that his style of singing, being very laid-back and almost lethargic and in the throat, is what attracts his fans. What's more, it's probably the lyrical content that resonates with a lot of the current generation. I can't really get over the "I want a range life" line though. That intonation is just way too off-base for me. I don't think it was really necessary to begin with. Other than that, it's nice and endearing song.

Rating: 6/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5