Day 264: あふれる by tricot // 6.5

Image result for tricot afureruGENRE: math rock
tricot continue to suprise me in their latest release. I've been a bit desensitized to their latest works just because of the timbre and instrumentation. It can get stale after listening on repeat. What does bring me back to this one is the creative use of rhythm and modulations interjected between verses. Although, there is not much to say about the instrumentation in this particular single, I can say some of their sections are highly redeeming. It also seems lately that the singer's melodies have gotten less melodic over the years, for lack of a better word. My favorite section is undoubtedly the thrasher around two minutes in. Not only does it incorporate an awesome, novel riff, a half-time groove, the accompanying melody is pretty cool too. Of course, soon after we get to typical tricot stuff. It almost seems like their getting poppier and trying to hit a certain anime style of rock. I just don't think that's where they excel.

Rating: 6.5/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5