Day 244: Soft Stud by Black Belt Eagle Scout // 8

Image result for black belt eagle scout mother of my childrenGENRE: soft rock
Hmm, I have a profound attraction to this song, and I can't quite explain why. It's a pretty mild rock song, with a longer-than-usual length. It feels a like slow burn. It feels like you've lit a small candle at your desk. The muffled sounds of the guitars, the singer's lower register, the extreme reverb, it's a weird, drawn-out concoction that seems to work. I feel like this song was written to get you lost in the sounds and passion of the artist; maybe I could describe it as desensitizing? What I mean by that is that the rhythm guitar stays there the entire time without fail. While comfortable, it's almost mind-numbing to a fault, so much so that it sort of drowns out the synth solo. And honestly, that was a conscious decision given the rest of the song.

Overall, the entire instrumentation is slightly distorted and the composition is quite simple and beautiful, giving way to a twisted, tense experience.

Rating: 8/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5