Day 201: Black Honey by Thrice // 4.5

Related image
GENRE: rock
Man, when was the last time I listened to a rock song? Thrice has blipped under my radar before, but I could not be bothered to dip my toes in. Today that changes, I guess.

Now, I think I have some bias with regards to modern rock bands. They come across as cheesy to me because honestly, rock is an old man's genre (note: old being people who grew up in the 70's and whatnot). Hearing it in today's broad spectrum of rock, I realize that it's going to take a lot to stand out, especially now that metal is extremely popular and accessible.

You've got your typical guitar intro, raspy vocals, and fat drum beat; nothing seems out of the ordinary. But, is it a good rock song? Meh, there's just not quite enough to swing me over. Nothing quite stands out to me besides the impressive depth and hulking presence of the singer.

Rating: 4.5/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5