Day 200: First Part: Adoration of the Earth: The Augurs of Spring by The Bad Plus // 7.5

Image result for the bad plus the rite of springGENRE: jazz, classical
Ok, this took a while to get to, but I had to do some real digging. I recalled a Nirvana cover that used acoustic instruments and a jazz perspective, but I couldn't for the life of me remember the name of the band. So I had to find the exact Nirvana song in order to find the correct band. Who knew so many people covered Nirvana, huh?

Anyway, The Bad Plus is a jazz trio that likes to make covers of the most random things. My favorites of theirs were Lithium and Comfortable Numb. Now that I've revisited them, who knew they made a cover of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring?! A bit daring, but fun and bold nonetheless. I decided to go with my favorite movement from the original. And quite frankly, reducing the instrumentation does not take away from the sheer cacophony that is this movement. The piano bears most of the burden, but having the drumset take on a new life of its own is captivating to listen to. You're trying to replace an entire orchestra with just three jazzy bois. And I think it works in its own way.

Rating: 7.5/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5