Day 198: Caffeine by Lolo Zouai // 6.5

Image result for Lolo Zouai High Highs to Low LowsGENRE: pop
I wanted to write about a recent pop song today, and it was originally going to be Elle Goulding's Hate Me. Very quick: I don't like it—it's incredibly repetitive and bland. Luckily, Spotify's recent promoted artist features an up and coming pop artist with a taste for the uncanny and experimental.

My first thoughts are that she has a flair for creating catchy cadences that play off her background track. Although the beats are simple (anyone can really make these with a little bit of training), Lolo Zouai's personality really emanates from her vocals and makes her songs. And, I don't think I've heard anywhere yet, but she also alters her voice during one of the choruses to make it seem grittier. It caught me by surprise because I don't know how common it is among female artists, but it definitely works with her personage she is trying to carry. There isn't really a climax in this song I would say, everything kind of floats and chills out. Think of this song as having it's feet out on the dash on the highway. 

Rating: 6.5/10 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5