Day 191: Bags by Clairo // 7

GENRE: indie
How did I not follow this line of logic before? I was listening to a really good song by Mellow Fellow that featured an artist, Clairo. It's funny because I actually really liked both singers, but never bothered to take a deeper look into Clairo. Now that I have, I've dug up a tiny nugget of gold to add into my growing playlist. To be accurate, I went goldpanning and filtered out nuggets, but you know what I mean.

Bags falls under that new favorite category of mine of indie songs featuring a female vocal performance, and it fits in just right. With songs that have simple instrumental parts (exhibit A: the steady guitar chords), I believe it's crucial that the melody is strong enough in terms of being interesting in both rhythm and harmony. Luckily, Clairo adds a synth to accompany the chorus, adding some color to the mix. It even gets its own solo. There aren't really any strong climaxes in terms of the melody, but I think there are themes throughout that serve the purpose of keeping the song coherent. In that way, the song further convinces us of its depressing and melancholic message.

Rating: 7/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5