Day 186: Chum by Earl Sweatshirt // 6.5

GENRE: rap, chill
I can really get into this. I'm partial towards rapping voices in the lower register. But in addition to that, Earl Sweatshirt raps with a lethargic intonation, as if his tongue never lifts from the bottom of his mouth. Being quite a minimal song, his voice and words serve as the crux. So if you don't like the way he raps, I'm not sure you'll find anything else in this.

Even as I say that, there's almost a complete turnaround near the end of the song. I thought I was listening to something completely different. No words, just an outro. He comes off kind of closeted, but I think that fits in with the message imparted by the lyrics, which are themselves quite complex in rhythm, diction, and flow.

Rating: 6.5/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5