Day 181: KOD by J. Cole // 6

Related imageGENRE: hip hop, rap
J. Cole is one of the most popular artists right now on the scene, and I've never taken the dive. That sound familiar? Yes, it's me. I do that all the time. But honestly, who doesn't do that? Anyway, the subject of today is J. Cole. This is legitimately one of the first songs I've listened to by him (unless he was featured on another song).

KOD is one of his more recent albums, and I intend on listening to its in its entirety. From my own research though. This seems to be one of the bigger pieces on that album.

There's a clear, dominant rhythmic motif throughout the piece. Personally, I think it drags a bit too long though. Between these "choruses", you get verses performed with a spectrum of intensity and momentum, which I can certainly respect.

In terms of instruments, it's considerably sparse. Basically, you got snare, bass, hi-hat, and the occasional synth melodic line. However, you'd come to expect that with hip-hop nowadays. At least it's not obnoxious. Passable at the least. Overall, it's a pretty minimal piece, and I'm inclined to believe it serves a small part of a big picture.

Rating: 6/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5