Day 177: Summertime by George Gershwin // 7

Image result for the essential george gershwinGENRE: jazz
After watching a bunch of videos on American history, I felt like listening to an American cultural icon. With George Gershwin, I literally only know one piece, and that's I've Got Rhythm. But today, I've Summertime, which is perfect considering that it's summertime and it's oppressively hot today.

I'm not going to break it down in-depth, but describe the overall picture. The quality says a lot about when this was recorded. It seriously reminds me of an old Tom and Jerry segment. You don't even have a traditional drum set on this track. The band seems to be made up of a clarinet, a trumpet, a bass, a piano, perhaps a guitar, and a female singer. A verse, a few solos here and there, and that's basically the song. With a myriad of solo instruments, you get a lot of embellishments throughout the piece. It's a nice piece, and reeks of smoking jazz bar. Mood.

Rating: 7/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5