Day 149: Dreams by Japanese Breakfast // 8

Image result for dreams japanese breakfast
GENRE: pop rock
To be honest, the original song itself has been buried in the deep reaches of my memory, and hearing Japanese Breakfast cover it so with such high fidelity unlocked it. I knew I recognized it at first, and I wonder why I never held so dear earlier. The verse (if you can even call it that) is so heartfelt and endearing. I'm particularly grateful that someone is covering it so closely to the original as well, because sometimes I just want to hear a good song brought to the modern quality it deserves.

Regarding the artist, Japanese Breakfast aligns pretty closely to the kind of music I've been listening to on repeat. You've got the female lead with a slower-paced indie backing band. I guess you can't really criticize the composition itself because it's just the cover, but the band covering it is so incredibly close to the original that criticizing it would essentially be the same thing. Even then, there's not much to say here, with the exception that the "chorus" always felt a bit out of place for me. The modal interchange feels cliche, but not to the point of ruining the rest of the song.

Rating: 8/10




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5