Day 131: Because I'm Me by The Avalanches // 6.5

Image result for wildflower avalanchesGENRE: rap, hip hop
I don't know how Youtube does it, but sometimes its recommendation algorithm spits out an incredibly delightful tune. The song itself reminds me of old school Kanye, incorporating a blend of oldies samples and rap. At least someone out there is putting out this kind of quality, because I really do miss the old Kanye. 

I can't help but feel like this song belongs in a different generation though. If there's anything to nitpick though, it's that the entire song feels unoriginal. The sound is all too familiar with the past decade. However, that's not to say it didn't do it well. The production is certainly a plus, but I can't confidently say that it pushed a genre forward. But, I am definitely being pretty harsh and setting a high bar here, higher than with the other songs I've listened to. 

Rating: 6.5/10 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5