Day 129: Back Pocket by Vulfpeck // 8

Image result for thrill of the arts vulfpeckGENRE: funk
Ah, so that's what this song is called. I swear I've heard it before in a commercial somewhere. Who knew that this was also the band that my jamming group is obsessed with. I just considered them to be a pretty standard funk group, but I admire the creativity and dynamics of this song. Everything's got a subdued, almost muted sound that makes it incredibly innovative and satisfying to listen to.

I'm not familiar with the typical instruments that are used in this context either, so it's a fun to listen to a timbre that's relatively new to me. Case in point: the solo that takes this song out is delightful and spunky. In my opinion though, what really makes this song addictive is the staccato cadence in the vocal performance. It's quite energetic while at the same time not being too bombastic and overwhelming.

Rating: 8/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5