Day 116: untitled 05 | 09.21.2014. by Kendrick Lamar // 6.5

Image result for untitled unmasteredGENRE: hip hop
greek yogurt and oatmeal clusters
I've been slowly waiting for the next big Kendrick album to come out. DAMN was cool and all (nothing like To Pimp A Butterfly though), but I'm curious to see what the man has in store. In the meantime, I took a quick glance at his work in between the two, which I never really spent time on because it just seemed to be demos. I don't have much, so I'll try to hit the bigger points.

I love this style of Kendrick, where you've got the cool drum and bass lines supported by a jazzy singer. To Pimp A Butterfly had a bunch of this, and I'm always glad to see more of it. On this particular piece though, I'm not a big fan of the production. The constant cymbal crash is a bit nauseating after a while, and overall, the structure of the song seems haphazard and all over the place. It definitely comes off as improvisational, and perhaps that's why it was written off to a side project.

Rating: 6.5


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5