Day 109: It's Been A Long, Long, Time by Harry James // 9

Image result for it's been a long long time harry jamesGENRE: jazz, big band
Now, you may or may not get the reference here, and why I'm writing about this particular song on this particular day. But, the quality and integrity of the song itself remains the same.

Written after the turmoil that was WWII, this song embraces a positive, optimistic, and romantic ending to what was one of the bleakest periods of time in our history. And frankly, I'm a huge sucker for this style of music, where a singer is backed up by a big band. The timbre and overall instrumentation gives me that feeling of that pseudo-nostalgia I've mentioned before. I guess the tone or style of music evokes that feeling of better times. Of course, it's disingenuous to think of it like that, because I imagine we only tend to remember the good times. Nonetheless, it's as real a feeling as any other. Whether or not it's a good thing is up to you.

Back to the song though, the singer is perfectly fit within the time period.There's no better fitting style to backup a singer of that particular accent and tone. I really can't say much else except that the lyrics are simple, easygoing, and maybe even a bit cheesy. But, I'll admit my bias. I'm definitely rating this song higher now for what it represents.

Rating: 9/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5