Day 82: Layers by AAESPO // 7.5

Image result for layers aaespo
genre: experimental, instrumental
I wrote about this artist before, and I enjoyed their instrumental material. I dove further into what they have previously worked on, and this album is what I found, emphasis on album. Each song is less than 2 minutes long, and each song elaborates and develops on a simple idea. And because of that, I decided why not, and added the whole album as an entry. It's a short, quick, and elevating listening experience.

The instrumentation is pleasant and minimalist. Consisting of saxophones, fluttery trumpets, and sometimes a piano, there is something genuine about limiting yourself and working with what you've got. All the instruments speak to each other and build upon an initial, progressive musical idea. Usually, the musical ideas are comprised of runs with intricate harmonies. Fortunately, that's the type of stuff I love.

Rating: 7.5/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5