Day 61: Lucid Dreams by Juice WRLD // 3

Image result for juice wrld goodbye and good riddancegenre: hip-hop, rap
snack: hershey's cookies and cream
This name has been popping up on my feed from time to time, and I finally bit the bullet to figure out what was up. As what is possibly his most popular song, I'm hoping to see what the hype is all about.

First thoughts: his intonation and rapping aren't the most attractive... They seem over-exaggerated, "oversung" I guess. I'm a big fan of Kendrick's many voices, so I'm probably coming from an incredibly biased point of view. It may be rap, but the way Juice WRLD enunciates the beats are almost too conversational, and as a result stunt the emotional weight behind his lyrics. Speaking of lyrics, the content refers to a person being haunted by a loved one who has been separated from him. It's quite poetic, and the guitar-like synth emphasizes this aspect of the song. However, I am not a fan of the sheer contrast between the cleaner guitar and the emphatic bass beats typical of the hip-hop genre. They clash and really don't support each other, and for that I think it makes the song less repeatable. Seriously, with lyrics like that, leave out the obnoxious drum beats. If not that, at least add some more fitting effects that wouldn't drown out the other pieces in the song. I wonder if there's an acoustic cover out there...

Rating: 3/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5