Day 57: A都市の秋 by Lamp // 8

genre: indie pop, Japanese
I forgot how I arrived to this point, but it was a lot of branching out with international bands I've listened to before. Lamp is a nice little piece of work that resulted from this digging around. Their stuff in general varies quite a bit, but this song in particular reminds me of some of the funky stuff that Sheena Ringo makes. I don't even know how to say the name of the song anyway.

Overall, the chord progressions are spicier than what I am used to nowadays. Granted, this is probably more commonly found in the jazzy rock funk type of bands that you see here. What I like the most about this song though is its playfulness with rhythm and syncopation. It's never a dull day for me whenever I try to figure out the underlying structure of the song. It's difficult to define a verse, as the singing itself flows very naturally and freely. I can't comment on the material of the lyrics, but the aesthetic as a whole is incredibly pleasing, especially with the soft-spoken vocal style of the singer. Nevertheless, I do have a qualm with how poppy it can be, to the point of being a slight bit cheesy and predictable/derivative. Still a fun, interesting piece though! Good luck finding more songs by them though with the language barrier. It certainly proved a challenge for me.

Rating: 8/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5