Day 32: The Stone by Dave Matthews Band // 7.5

Image result for dave matthews band before these crowded sheets
genre: rock
drink: watermelon vodka
It doesn't really seem like it's been a month since I've been doing this. But for just a bit of reflection, I think it's been worth it. It's been a lot of fun to listen to new stuff every single day, because it only opens up new doors to what else is out there. Today I'm going to be taking a look at a band I've regretfully given little attention to. 

Really, the only song I knew by Dave Matthews before this was Ants Marching, and that's arguably their biggest hit. What I assumed to be a shallow pond turns out to be a vast ocean. I had totally taken them at face value based on just Ants Marching.

"The Stone" really takes it to a new dimension in terms of complexity, nuance, and maturity. The strings add a rather frantic personality to the piece. The very start of the piece sounds incredibly tense and kept me on the edge of my seat from then on. The rhythms in the guitar are so energetic and syncopated. However, my favorite parts of this piece are the drums. Carter Beauford plays that kit like no other person I've ever heard. It's inspiring really, because that's the kind of style I'd like to achieve some day. The only thing that really detracts from the piece is the lack of a variation in the melody. I wish there was more movement and development. Although, I do enjoy the seamless transition between the minor verses and the major choruses. It's incredibly enchanting. 

Rating: 7.5/10






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5