Day 31: Do You Remember Me by Santana // 4.5

Image result for in search of mona lisa
genre: slow rock, latin rock
drink: spaghetti
Who would have thought that Santana would still be putting things out in 2019? That name has opened up a treasure trove  of memories from when I was first learning guitar, and my dad had a bunch of classic Santana records lying around.

I haven't listened to any of his recent work, so I have no context where his musical journey has taken him. The first thing off the bat that I notice is that this is piece is almost begrudgingly slow. Usually when songs are paced like this, you'd expect some kind of build up. However, there is little to none of that. It sounds like Santana is just having a little conversation with his inner self. No doubt, I do enjoy his solos and such. I just wish he built the song better around it. It feels like the percussion and bass just drone on and repeat endlessly. This whole song could really do with an energetic samba section or something, but who am I to say? It's a shame, because a shorter version of this song would a bit more tolerable and sensible. Nonetheless, I enjoy Santana's touch of flair and how we works through his melodies.

Rating: 4.5/10






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5