Day 29: Jazz Suite No.2: 6. Waltz II by Shostakovich // 9

Image result for shostakovich jazz suite no. 2
genre: classical
Coming at you hot with another classical piece I came upon the other day that I wanted to write about. It might be pushing the rules a bit, but I didn't really sit down and listen to this song until today, if you will. 

Now, it's not like I picked a random artist/composer out of a box and googled them. Where's the logic in that? In actuality, I played a piece written by Shostakovich back in college, and his pieces emanate with such vibrant energy. The story remains the same with current piece. I don't know what he normally writes, but his pieces are amusing and quirky from what I've listened to so far. 

First of all, I love waltz's (can somebody teach me?). The somber and melancholic tone makes it that much more addicting to me at least. The strings at around :50 evoke an awfully sorrowful tone that is just delicious. My personal favorite part out of anything in the entire piece is the swelling of the strings exactly a minute. It's beautifully done, with the perfect amount of tension in the harmony and instrumentation. I love it. I absolutely love it. It comes back in full force when the winds come to join the strings at 3:18. Ugh, I can give the song a strong rating just for that. Everything else dandies up the piece a bit, but really, that one single angelic note takes me away. This also makes me want to watch the movie Anastasia again. Has this been in any films? I feel like it's way too popular to not be in some kind of period piece. 

Rating: 9/10






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5