Day 3: when ur dreaming 2 by Vinke's World // 7.5

when ur dreaming 2 by Vinke's World

genre: acoustic indie

drink: swiss miss hot chocolate

SOUNDCLOUD

With the rating scale, I guess I should clarify what my anchors are. A 0 represents the most offensive, nonsensical song. One example, Ya-yo gakk. I just don't get it. At a 10, I guess I should use my favorite song at the moment, because there are obviously multiple possible 10 ratings, Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain.

Moving on, this is a song from one of my long-time friends, as seen in the "candid" image below. I expect it to be sadboi af. Also, I drank a bit before writing this. It might get sappy.

Two clear sections to this, and it definitely plays like a genuine stream of consciousness more than it does a traditional song with a defined verse, chorus, bridge, interlude, etc. I think my favorite part of the song is the interplay between the voice and the timid synth that, over the course of piece, awakens to fully accompany the rest of the instruments, as if the person in the singer's thoughts are also snapping out of their dreams. Symbolically, I think the deliberate use of an octave rather than a harmony says something about the intimate connection between the two. 

In my opinion, the lyrical content captures the fleeting thoughts of a sadboi wondering whether the person that is currently holding his heart is feeling the same way that he does, and whether that connection is validation for a lengthy pursuit wrought with hurting, and transcendent infatuation. He wonders, when that person is relieved of the burdens of the material world, when that person has an inkling of spare time, when that person is given the opportunity to imagine just about anything possible, is that person giving him at least a thought? Does he hold a place in her heart? Even a little will do. 

The only thing that I would really consider changing is the jarring transition from the "verse" to the ending section. It caught me off guard, and with such a tender song as this, the shift doesn't quite match what I expected. In this case, an interlude would serve as one tool for further developing the underlying story. 

Rating: 7.5/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5