Day 20: BLACKJACK by Amine //

genre: rap, hip hop
drink: nuoc mat
To be honest, I came to this song off of Jack Black's latest videos off his Youtube channel. 1) I love Jack Black 2) anything he personally recommends has to be good, right?

And so here we are, with the newest rap song I've listened to in a long, long time. You can't do this song justice without also watching the video that accompanies it. I'm not sure if that's the crux of the song itself, as the video really makes it. 

The whole song itself is really fun to listen to, with memorable, catchy lines that can ingrain themselves into your short term memory. Even though the song is only two minutes, the variety in Amine's flow keeps it interesting. The lyrics themselves are relatively tame too, which only makes it more impressive. 

My favorite part though is the instrumentation, the beats. There's a lack of, if any, a overbearing bass beat that turns me off from most current hip hop. In fact, most of the backing track is percussion-I can really get behind that. It's not exactly minimalist, but it's just empty enough to be tasteful and catchy. It's worth a listen just for the music video, so pay attention. The song itself though; I'm not quite sure it holds up. 

Rating: 7/10




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5