Day 298: Ann Arbor (Be Safe) by Great American Ghost // 7.5

Image result for hatred stems from the seedGENRE: metalcore
Ok, I swear I didn't just look up Ann Arbor and search for this song. It naturally came to me as I was finding songs about hatred. Follow up note: I was looking for a particular song and not trying to fuel something else. Enough about that though, because this song is quite a jump from my previous pieces.

I think I'm starting to understand what hardcore and metalcore are. At first I felt like this vocal style was cringey. But, as most things do, the song sort of grew on me. The backing instruments are ok, they're bombastic sure but their production feels a bit flat. One of my favorite parts though is when the guitar drops out and the bass guitar is isolated; it feels like the calm before the storm.

Now vocals... I don't have an informed opinion because I don't know if it's good or not relative to its genre. The vocals are incredibly wet and sound painful to sing. At least the lyrics themselves aren't bad. It's nothing you wouldn't see in this type of genre I'd imagine. I just have no idea what it has to do with Ann Arbor. Check out the breakdown though!

Rating: 7.5/10



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5