Day 214: Lover Is a Day by Cuco // 5.5

Image result for cuco wannabewithuGENRE: indie, chill
Wow, this song is composed in a style that I myself want to emulate. The production is really nice and addictive. It totally absorbs you in the atmosphere that's given off by the album cover. My first nitpick though is his singing style. It just falls a bit flat for me. It feels like very static in its tone and dynamics, like just going through a routine, especially during the long verses around the 3:50 mark. It's just constant singing. I've always subscribed to the idea that the silences in between matter just as much.

I'm glad the song is longer than usual. You're going to want this kind of length when writing a song that slowly burns and envelopes you. Unfortunately, the song itself doesn't develop throughout accordingly. Yet, that's not a bad thing considering the contemplative, calming nature of the song.

Rating: 5.5/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5