Day 192: Yam Yam by No Vacation // 4

GENRE: indie
I've had this song recommended to me for so long, but today I'm taking the bait. Of course, I find myself putting another indie song with a female vocal performance at the forefront of my playlist. I wonder if by now I'm feeling the fatigue from it all.

On the surface, the song itself has gotten all the elements to make it a perfect fit into the genre. However, I can't help but shake the feeling that there's something different and missing about this one. Maybe it sounds a bit too poppy? Too optimistic and uplifting? I think it's that guitar counter melody that bothers me.  Something about those intervals and rhythms rubs me the wrong way. All the components come off as a bit too cliche for my tastes. Imagine a roller coaster without any hills or dips. Just flat. And honestly, even though this is their most popular song, I feel that they have a better, more nuanced stuff in their discography.

Rating: 4/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5