Day 184: X (with 2 Chainz & Saudi) by Kendrick Lamar, ScHoolboy Q, 2 Chainz, Saudi // 6

Image result for black panther albumGENRE: rap
I was initially looking for a ScHoolboy Q song to write about because I only literally know one song of his. But, as I was listening through some of his more popular songs, I found one collab with Kendrick (and many more apparently) that just really caught my attention.

Kendrick's verse is so catchy. His intonation and ability to modulate his pitch is incredibly satisfying to listen to. Being on the Black Panther album, the choice of instruments is particularly interesting. The bulk of any rap song being the snare and bass, you still get a melody played out by an interesting flute-thing(?)

I think the song suffers a little in that it's just a bunch of different verses by different artists interspersed by Kendrick's chorus. The pace of the song and the backing beat don't change much if at all. Consequently, the song takes a ride on a roller coaster in terms of my enjoyment. Some verses I do enjoy, some I don't. One good example of a great collaboration is Monster by Kanye West. For some reason I couldn't find the actual song, but you're smart.

Rating: 6/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5