Day 144: When the Catholic Girls Go Camping, the Nicotine Vampires Rule Supreme. by Giraffes? Giraffes! // 8

Image result for when catholic girls go campingGENRE: math-rock
Just what the hell is that title? It takes up nearly the entire length of the text bar that I write the titles in. Even then, I'm not even sure how that relates to the song itself, especially when there are no lyrics. Perhaps, this is the entrance theme for the Nicotine Vampire? Is it the maddening sound and rush of drug addiction? I couldn't tell you.

What I can tell you is that this is the type of math-rock that I dig. It's got a much heavier, distorted sound. I abhor math rock that over-complicate songs for the sake of making it tough to replay or imitate. With When the Catholic Girls Go Camping, the Nicotine Vampires Rule Supreme, you get a much more coherent piece, with a contemplative, developing middle section that leads to a buildup into a climax. It really showcases their writing chops as well as their ability to play. Even more impressive, you don't really mind that it's just a two-piece band. Man, I'm just really digging their sound. Their drummers' approach to percussion aligns really well with what I like to play (or would like to play for that matter). And this is in conjunction with the beautifully rich harmonies and melodies being thrown down by the guitar.

Rating: 8/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5