Day 75: Only Acting by Kero Kero Bonito // 6

Image result for Time 'n' Place kkbgenre: pop rock, experimental
I haven't listened to the entirety of their new album yet. I mainly held off on it too because I got fatigued from their niche aesthetic. From the looks of it, this album dives into some weird territory, based off this first song. From a glimpse of the other songs, each one has their own weird identity, so much so that I would even add experimental to the genres.

For this song though, it starts off normally. You've got the catchy, infectious melodies that KKB is known for. Then, guitars and drums come in! I was genuinely surprised. KKB does not do this, and it was a cool to see the group trying out new things.

Although, as the song goes on, things seem to teeter off the edge, evidenced by distorted singing, jarring hits, and sometimes just emptiness. In video form, this may contribute to the overall theme and performance. In a song form though, I don't really see the point. This may be a stretch, but this reminds me of the shift in tone Kanye had with Yeezy. I don't speak from evidence, but KKB may just be exploring some new avenues as they mature.

So, what did we learn today? KKB should do more rock.

Rating: 6/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5