Day 16: Alaska by Maggie Rogers // 7

genre: indie pop
drink: hot chocolate
Maggie Rogers has garnered some traction over the past few years, and she's definitely flown under my radar. Thanks to a close friend of mine, I get the pleasure of being introduced to this up and coming artist.

I try not to judge a person by their looks, but in this case, it's a good thing. I love her aesthetic, as it brings about remnants of a time where a plain appearance was seemingly more attractive and down-to-earth (aka the ladies of Heart, Carly Simon, etc.). 

As for the song itself, the playful instrumentation complements her seemingly subdued singing style. I think my favorite part is the balance of harmonies for the chorus. I can't fully describe it, but the airy voicing is something I particularly enjoy (similar to Billie Eilish(?)). It takes you into a dream-like state, especially with the particular production of the synth bass. The guitar near the ending chorus is also a nice touch. Unfortunately, I was hoping to get more from this piece, as it seems caged and limited by the structures and elements typically found in pop. It's pretty chill though, just not quite up my alley. 

Rating: 7/10





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 311: holy terrain by FKA twigs // 4

Day 309: White Gloves by Khruangbin // 5